5 Trends Impacting UCaaS in 2020
According to Cision, the UCaaS market is poised to reach $79.3 billion in value by the end of 2024. With the rapid expansion of cloud computing technology, exciting things are on the horizon for the world of UCaaS!
Keep reading to gain insight into the top UCaaS trends for 2020 so your business can get ahead of the curve.
What is UCaaS?
The definition of UCaaS, or Unified Communications as a Service, is an enterprise service method for streamlining all business communication platforms and enterprise apps via cloud-based software services.
This keeps your various forms of information organized, and helps the many tools you use to communicate run smoothly—including instant messaging, email, telephone communication, audio/video conferencing, and more.
Benefits of UCaaS for Modern Businesses
There are many benefits of UCaaS that can help your business develop a competitive edge. Just a few major ones include:
- Centralized organization. UCaaS gives businesses the ability to streamline different communication and productivity features into one flexible infrastructure. This allows modern companies to scale while staying agile and competitive.
- Increased mobility. When your employees can leverage UCaaS to access the data, files, and apps they need to do their jobs, it means they can work from any location without obstacles. With remote work on the rise, this is incredibly valuable for modern businesses looking to attract top talent through “work from wherever” places.
- Reliable access to information. One centralized UCaaS platform ensures that employees can always access the tools they need and reach the people they need (whether it’s a client, colleague, or manager). This productive communication and flow of information is necessary for true enterprise mobility.
- Boosted productivity. When employees are able to access the tools and information they need to do their jobs quickly and with ease, it results in a huge boost in productivity. Instead of taking the time to manually switch between apps or search for a piece of vital information in an old email thread, employees can actually focus on their job tasks.
- Happier clients. When your employees are more productive, they can produce both a better quantity and quality of work—resulting in the ability to drive real results for your clients!
- More productive communication. UCaaS features like web and video conferencing make real-time communication, collaboration, and brainstorming simple—especially for virtual or remote teams. Delayed response times, missed messages, or technical glitches can cause even more frustration when people aren’t working from the same physical location, but UCaaS makes it possible to overcome these challenges.
- Lowered expenses. UCaaS can create huge cost savings both up-front and over time for your business! By leveraging a cloud-based service, you won’t have to pay for (and store!) heavy servers and equipment in your office, saving you money and storage space. Plus, it eliminates the need to hire a complete in-house IT team and pay for their full-time salaries and benefits, which can be incredibly costly.
The History of UCaaS
Before modern technological advancements were made, businesses had to rely on landlines for the majority of their business communications. So, in the 1990’s, PBX phone systems were commonplace in business.
In the early 2000’s, there was a shift after voice over internet protocol (VoIP) started gaining popularity. More and more companies began moving their systems from PBX to IP networks. This was the start of the major movement from traditional PBX systems towards the unified communications we are familiar with today.
In the late 2000’s, technological advancements continued to be made at a rapid pace. The increasing prominence of hosted cloud solutions (as opposed to an on-premises solutions) began to offer more scalability and versatility for unified communications. On the heels of the cloud IT movement, the idea of unified communications as a service was introduced in 2014.
The Future of UCaaS: 2020 Trends
Since 2014, UCaaS has proven itself to be an ever-evolving concept. Where will it go next? Here are five top UCaaS trends your business should be on the lookout for in 2020.
1. Artificial Intelligence in UCaaS Will Become Commonplace
We live in the era of “big data.” As companies continue to grow and become even more hyper-connected, it’s becoming near impossible to analyze all of the data they collect manually. This is why the use of artificial intelligence (AI) has exploded in so many industries, and the UCaaS market is no exception. Experts say that UCaaS will incorporate more AI capabilities throughout 2020. Sophisticated UCaas platforms will provide analytics and rely on AI to analyze them for patterns and trends. This way, businesses can make more strategic, well-informed decisions.
In UCaaS, AI could help companies:
- Boost sales by strategically identifying which products and services should be promoted to which customers
- Increase productivity by putting repetitive, tedious tasks such as booking meetings or transcribing meeting notes on auto-pilot
- Increase efficiency by identifying areas of opportunity to streamline processes
- Monitor employee’s app usage
- And more!
2. Sentiment Analysis Will Be Used in UCaaS
Another capability that AI brings to the table for UCaaS is referred to as sentiment analysis. This involves data mining to determine opinions in speech or written text. By identifying and extracting subjective information in source material, businesses can better understand the social sentiment of their brand, product, or service. Businesses will even be able to search spoken communications, such as podcasts or YouTube videos, for references to their company.
This technology puts the process of social listening (or monitoring the internet and a brand's social media channels for customer feedback, direct mentions, or discussions regarding specific keywords, topics, competitors, or industries) on auto-pilot. This means a marketing professional will no longer have to take the time to search for these things manually. Sentiment analysis powered by AI can find it for them—plus immediately extract patterns and valuable insights that can be used to make future improvements.
3. 5G Will Hit the UCaaS Market
5G’s rollout has been anticipated for over a decade, and major phone carriers from Verizon to T-Mobile began to introduce this technology in select cities in 2019. 5G is the fastest mobile network ever created, and has the potential to change the way we all access the internet and communicate. The benefits of 5G include ultra-reliability, lightning fast speeds, and incredibly low latency. Combined with its ability to prioritize packets, it’s an ideal environment for mobile VoIP solutions.
When 5G becomes more commonplace in the market, businesses will be able to choose between traditional cable providers and 5G networks for their primary internet connection. However, if companies want to successfully capitalize on 5G, they will need to have reliable real-time communication apps in place. This is why 5G is so closely intertwined with UCaaS.
4. UCaaS in Telehealthcare Will Continue to Grow
UCaaS is starting to enter the healthcare industry through the implementation of telehealth and other mobile health app services. This trend will only continue to grow throughout 2020. In fact, the mobile health market is expected to exceed a whopping $100 billion by 2023.
UCaaS platforms have a variety of uses in the healthcare industry, especially with the growing focus on telehealth. Some common ones include empowering productive communication for remote patient visits, internal hospital communication, and rapid response during emergencies. So, adopting this technology is beneficial to both healthcare companies and the patients they serve. Companies can provide better care faster and at a lower cost, and patients can receive higher quality care quickly and affordably—even if they aren’t physically in a doctor's office.
5. 4K Video Will Elevate UCaaS
Some UCaaS providers are already using 4K video, and even more are expected to get on board in 2020. 4K is essentially an “Ultra HD” image resolution that can produce life-like video. It provides higher image definition quality, more detailed pictures, better fast-action image transitions from frame-to-frame, and larger projection surface visibility. This new standard renders more than four times higher image definition than traditional 1080p HD resolutions.
4K video will make everyday business tasks such as promoting products, conducting video conferences with clients or remote employees, or virtually interviewing potential job candidates via video conference much more realistic and engaging. In our hyper-connected world where more organizations than ever have remote workers and customers located all around the globe, this is an incredibly valuable tool to enhance business mobility.
Make the Most of UCaaS with AVAIL!
At AVAIL, we offer cost-effective, easy-to-consume packages of cloud-based collaboration tools that transform business communication. With fast, secure, reliable access to the tools and apps you rely on for productive communication, you can boost efficiency and widen your profit margins!
Ready to take advantage of these top UCaaS trends for 2020 in order to develop a competitive edge for your business? The first thing you need is a reliable UCaaS provider! We’re ready to be that partner. Contact us today to get started.